Environmental Action & Dance
There are a variety of ways that the dance community can help the environment.
Equity In Dance believes in reducing waste, implementing recycling programs, buying second hand, purchasing eco-friendly and vegan products.
Photo taken by Mack Gillies
What we advocate for:
- Adjusting dance practices to be more environmentally friendly.
- Using dance to promote taking action to protect the climate and environment.
- Dancing in the natural world to encourage adaptable dancing & healing through nature.
- Land Back & Listening to Indigenous peoples and in taking next steps to health the Earth.
- Implementing recycling programs within dance communities & studios.
SMALL ENVIRONMENTAL ACTIONS AS A DANCE ARTIST OR EDUCATOR
- Carpool or use public transit to get to classes or performances to reduce vehicle use.
- Purchase more vegan, eco-friendly, and cruelty free makeup and hair products.
Use a reusable water bottle and reduce single use plastic consumption while out of the house.
Reuse pointe shoe ribbons and elastics when a new pair is bought.
- Thrift dancewear when possible, safe, and appropriate & sell or giveaway old dance wear and shoes.
- Start a program at your studio of giving and receiving shoes, costumes & dance clothes
Photo taken by Shannon Widdis