LGBTQ in Dance
Queer dancers, especially youth, deserve safe and supportive dancing spaces.
Equity In Dance stands for dance artists & educators that identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community. We prioritize removing the gender binary from dance and facilitate conversations about Queerness in dance.
What we advocate for:
- Removing the (emphasis and reliance on the) gender binary from dance spaces, specifically ballet.
- Ensuring that transgender and non binary dance students feel safe to be out at dance.
- Removing gendered language in dance spaces.
- Representing and celebrating Queer stories and artists within dance.
- Transforming the dance world's understanding of how dance and gender intersect.
- Removing homophobia and transphobia from all dance settings.
- Providing safe spaces for all people to use the bathroom and change their clothes.
- Adjusting syllabus', as well as the way dance educators approach & teach them, to be more gender expansive.