Supporting Marginalized Bodies
Dance is for ALL bodies.
Equity In Dance stands for celebrating all dancing bodies and implementing supports, accommodations, and accessibility for all people.
What we advocate for:
- Celebrating all dancing bodies and providing diverse representation of the endless ways a dancing body can exist as.
- Dance instructors integrating intersectionality into dance classes.
- Dancer teachers developing adaptive curriculums that can be altered to suit specific dancers needs.
- Dance teachers and studio staff researching and applying general accessibility to the studio space and having conversations with specific students about their needs and supports.
- Dance teachers unlearning toxic ideologies about what a dancer body looks like.
- Dance teachers practicing self love and modelling healthy relationships with their souls and bodies.
- Dance instructors teaching with a body positive / body neutral approach.
- The dance community to eliminate any kind of culture or behaviour that promotes eating disorders and fatphobia.
- Dance teachers adjusting language so corrections reflect technique or skill rather than body type, shape, ability, etc.